A tired, rundown heritage building in North Fremantle was waiting for an interior design makeover. Luckily, it was the fourth location selected for the School of Early Learning’s latest childcare centre. Having assisted on previous SOEL building projects, Bellfort was once again nominated to carry out the restoration and interior design. This work was carried out alongside heritage architect Tom Godden.
Major base building works were required to bring the building up to a minimal standard. And this was prior to any interior works commenced. The project also needed concentrated coordination of the various trades required on site as well. And additionally, alignment with the architect and Heritage Council.
Interior Design Inspiration
All interior design and exterior works had to conform with heritage requirements. Luckily, the style of building and the spaces needed to fulfill SOEL’s brief melded seamlessly together. Existing, original features such as flooring, ceilings and wall mouldings were easy to retain. Given they supported the hard wearing, child friendly elements that all SOEL interiors require, this was a positive discovery.
The exterior transformed sympathetically into an active adventure playground and classroom area. And the construction of traditional verandahs and landscaped discovery areas support these spaces. The interior design colour palette is a harmonious blend of solid colour set against neutral, warm background hues. An interior design colour scheme that promotes creativity on all levels.
Extent of Work
- Ceilings – Rectification of feature ceilings throughout and replacement as required.
- Flooring – Refurbishment of existing timber floors and installation of wet area flooring to bathroom and kitchen facilities.
- Building Works – Installation of new partitioning to create specific rooms. Creation of new walkways through masonry walling to suit new layout. Window and door replacement.
- Services – New installation of power and data. Modifications to existing plumbing to suit bathroom and kitchen facilities. New mechanical, fire and security services throughout.
- Furniture – Supply and installation of custom built joinery to wet areas and class rooms.
Project Size – 772 sqm
Project Cost – $1,000.00 sqm
Programme – 10 weeks
If you are interested in viewing more Bellfort project images in our gallery click here.